The “U” is Central Ohio’s recognized leader in the field of transformative wellness. Named one of Columbus’ Top 10 Health Clubs by The Columbus Dispatch, we are a collection of passionate health, fitness and medical professionals with a common goal: optimize client happiness through good health. Ultimate U Team Members come in a variety of shapes, sizes and fitness levels. We don’t promote fads, gimmicks, or any approach that compromises health or wellbeing. Instead, we empower change through sustainable, enjoyable baby steps.
Hello, Personal Trainers,
Ever worked for one of those fitness outfits that prioritizes high-pressure sales over what’s best for clients?
I did, and I dreaded going to work every day.
In 2006, I opened Ultimate U Total Health with my partner, Zoe Guirlinger so we could be better. Turns out, good things happen when you listen, and respect the needs of each client. At Ultimate U, there’s no pressure to buy–or buy into diet and fitness industry hype. We don’t push fads, gimmicks or any research-disproved “false promises.”
Here, we prioritize people over dollars. We focus on whole-person needs, then work every day to meet them. We’re a thriving full-service wellness center that offers personal training, athletic training, chiropractic medicine, physical and massage therapy, NeurOptimalTM neurofeedback, weight loss and wellness coaching, stress management and more.
Our client, Bonnie Ritchie puts it this way:“I love that I have a ‘team’ here. My trainer, chiropractor and massage therapist all work together for my benefit.”
One of our elite trainers, Christian Livingston describes Ultimate U like this:
“It’s not a cutthroat atmosphere like a lot of gyms—there’s a lot of camaraderie here. We all want what’s best for our clients, and we work together to take care of them.”
Sound like your kind of place? Then, check out our Personal Trainer job opening below.
PERSONAL TRAINER JOB DESCRIPTION
We’re seeking a full-time personal trainer to add to our top-notch team. As an Ultimate U Personal Trainer, you’ll be responsible for designing and conducting customized personal training services that meet the unique needs of each client so that clients have an upbeat, energizing, effective workout experience that keeps them engaged in the pursuit or maintenance of their wellness and sports-related goals at Ultimate U.
ESSENTIAL ROLES & TASKS
- Effectively/accurately conduct baseline and progress assessments according to company protocol
- Design customized individual, pairs and group personal training programs that:
o Are appropriate for the client’s health status, body type, and fitness level
o Utilize effective, evidence-based exercise protocols
o Prevent injuries/debilitating DOMS
o Satisfy clients’ personal exercise preferences
o Prevent client boredom and burnout
o Adapt to gym usage by trainers and clients
o Exceed client expectations and thereby retain clients long-term
- Conduct individual, pairs and group personal training sessions for UU clients:
o In an uplifting, motivating manner
o With full focus on the client(s) throughout
- Modify exercise programs to adapt to changes in clients’ goals, abilities, health issues, wants and needs
- Coach, educate, encourage and inspire UU clients on the path to success
- Troubleshoot clients’ barriers to success
- Connect UU clients to the knowledge, tools and resources they need to succeed including UU’s multidisciplinary team of wellness professionals
- Remain current on certifications and new research/trends in the industry
- Demonstrate full knowledge and behavioral alignment with Ultimate U’s vision, mission, core values and approach
- Satisfactory completion of UU-assigned courses and implementation of key takeaways
- Promote/advise clients and guests regarding Ultimate U specials, sales, events, etc.
- Carry out client satisfaction/retention initiatives
- Attend/actively engage in team meetings
- Maintain the safety and orderliness of Ultimate U’s fitness center
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to effectively perform all of the job tasks described above in a manner that supports the success and satisfaction of clients, a positive and harmonious company culture, and the overall growth of the organization
- High positivity, with a strong ability to encourage, motivate, inspire and thereby retain clients
- Passionate about fitness and inspiring clients to live a healthy lifestyle
- Desire and expertise to train all fitness levels
- Ability to ensure the safety of up to 18 clients as they participate in a group training session
- Excellent listening, communication and customer service skills
- Honest, reliable, respectful and professional team player
- Punctual, prepared and organized
- Maintains high level of personal health and fitness
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 4-year degree in exercise science, kinesiology, sports medicine or related field
- 2+ years of school-related and/or professional personal training and program design experience preferred
- Study in the area of behavioral psychology and/or wellness coaching preferred
- Proficient in the instruction/spotting of Olympic lifting techniques with 1 – 2 years of experience preferred
- Experience coaching/training student athletes especially football, basketball, baseball and lacrosse preferred
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Nationally-recognized, UU-approved personal training certification such as ACSM, NSCA, NASM or ACE
- Current CPR/AED Certification and basic First Aid (within first 4 months of hire)
Commission-based and commensurate with candidate’s strengths, skills, experience as well as the number/type of sessions trained per week, client retention rates, and other factors. We believe in rewarding good people for good work. We’re proud that our compensation plans are among the highest in the industry.
Great work environment, paid time off (full-time status), free UU membership, discounts on massage and other UU products and services, fun team member events, professional development opportunities and more!
Ultimate U Total Health values diversity. We’re committed to equal opportunity employment and providing a work environment free of all forms of unlawful discrimination and harassment.
To meet this goal, all associates and prospective associates are recruited, selected and trained based on personal capabilities, experience and qualifications without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status.